Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Where is my wickedness?

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

David said, "Search my heart, Oh God, and let me know if there be any wicked way in me." This scripture is quoted often. Do you know the verses before it? "For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies." (vs 20-22) Think about this a minute. David was talking with the Lord about those who openly despised Him. David realized that God didn't need him to defend His name. He may have seemed justified in his hatred, but he stopped and asked the Lord to search him for his wickedness.

Have you ever taken the time to search your heart? What did you find? If you found nothing then you didn't spend the time God has called you to in the search. We all have wickedness in us that must be overcome by the Holy Spirit. God wouldn't have given us this scripture if we didn't. When you prepare yourself for your day think on how God would have you react to people. Salt and Light. You may not think this, but you are being watched.

God doesn't call us to be doormats to others. He does expect us to conduct ourselves in manner befitting His Name. How can we do that if we don't continually search what is in our hearts?

Seeking His heart in all I do and say.

No comments: